I write a lot of native G-Code programs, often using my library of  G-Code
routines, and coding directly using a text editor on the Linux machine.

As for CAD programs, I'm running Vectric VCarve Pro, on a W7 PC. I have
slightly customised the post-processor, so VCarve gives me a ready-to-use file
for the LinuxCNC machine.
Those programs run fine as they are, but I often tweak them, mainly to make
some values into parameters so that I can experiment with cutting and
traversing speeds. That way, if I am making a batch of components, I can
quickly optimise the speed and the finish. It's quicker than having to run the
CAD post-processor every time.

I sometimes use Illustrator, and/or the scanner, on my Mac, to create a shape,
then put that into VCarve Pro on the W7 PC. I have probably done less of that
as VCarve has improved from version to version. I used to use Cut2D, but that
was before I upgraded to VCarve.

The Mac is the machine of choice; the W7 is there to run VCarve Pro, and the
Linux PC is attached to the mill.

I have, and used to use, Mach3 a lot, but it lacks the programming structures
of LinuxCNC and that limits it severely in my opinion. I can't compare either
with Mach4. I like programming, so LinuxCNC suits me well.

For 3D CAD, I use Inventor, but that has no output for CNC, so I will probably
migrate to Fusion360 next, when I get time to familiarise myself with that.

Marcus