On Thursday 02 August 2018 10:19:14 Przemek Klosowski wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 5:12 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 August 2018 13:50:46 Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> > > How about $12.50? Here's a purportedly waterproof, lit up plastic
> > > job at Banggood
> > >
> > > https://www.banggood.com/JiZZ-GX16-Waterproof-LED-Backlight-Mechan
> > >ical
> > > -Handfeel-Gaming-Keyboard-p-976896.html?utm_design=147&utm_source=
> > >emars
> > > ys&utm_medium=Mail_US09_email&utm_campaign=newsletter%E2%80%94emar
> > >sys&u
> > > tm_content=Winna&sc_src=email_3138530&sc_eh=35422cecd170ae1e1&sc_l
> > >lid=3 02692&sc_lid=122562085&sc_uid=nM5Tc3ihrE&cur_warehouse=USA
> >
> > Looks good, but those tapered side keys are instant jam from flying
> > swarf. The square sided keys of a logitech K360 aren't proof from
> > swarf jams, but do reduce them to a tolerable level, but they've
> > disappeared from the supply chain now. I've also killed a couple of
> > them with an errant coffee cup. I wonder if they have a keyboard
> > cover for this one? It might even work, as long as the cord would
> > reach the machine.
>
> so I haven't used this one, but they do show a picture of it partly
> submerged in water, so I think it has a continuous membrane all around
> the unit.

Waterproofness is a far lessor priority than being immune to a bit of
swarf following the key down, and then wedgeing it down because the side
of the key is tapered, which means the gap between the key and the mask
widens. I have some membrane covers custom made for the k360, but found
the membrane would buckle and hold the key down too. So that experiment
only lasted about an hour.  Some Acer computers came with a keyboard
that had no mask, keyswitch stems was all that penetrated the top
molding, but they are monster sized, and have no place to grab them and
pick them up w/o inadvertently pressing some "media" key that lcnc
didn't like around the edges.  Great keyboard, if only it was available
without all that gingerbread. Swarf, if anything, might prevent a key
from being pressed, but the air hose easily cleared any such problems.
But 130+ keys? 20 around the edges? My mildest expletive is Nuh-huh.

Thanks Przemek K.