A friend is fixing up a 70s vintage surface grinder that has a ball screw on
the vertical axis and a non functioning drive.  He wants to replace what is
there with a servo motor and driver and have a simple control that lets him
select several ranges, say 100, .010, .001, .0001 & .00005 increments to move
the spindle.

He asked what motor, driver, and control to use.  My experience with servos is
pretty limited, I’ve built one gantry machine with them.  We used Kelling
servos, CUI encoders, Granite Devices drivers and Mesa cards with Linuxcnc.  A
full Linuxcnc controller seems like overkill though to control a single axis in
fixed increments but I am not sure what other options there are.  I am curious
what folks here would recommend for this application?

-Tom