Why the insistence on a servo? A stepper would be cheaper and, unless I'm
missing something, suitable. It is probably heresy on the LinuxCNC list but
why not use an Arduino + Gecko or maybe a ClearPath? There is ample Arduino
sample code showing how to control a stepper and display settings on a LCD.