On 11/19/2018 10:20 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
On 11/19/2018 09:38 PM, Tom Easterday wrote:
A friend is fixing up a 70s vintage surface grinder that has a ball screw on the vertical axis and a non functioning drive. He wants to replace what is there with a servo motor and driver and have a simple control that lets him select several ranges, say 100, .010, .001, .0001 & .00005 increments to move the spindle.

He asked what motor, driver, and control to use. My experience with servos is pretty limited, I’ve built one gantry machine with them. We used Kelling servos, CUI encoders, Granite Devices drivers and Mesa cards with Linuxcnc. A full Linuxcnc controller seems like overkill though to control a single axis in fixed increments but I am not sure what other options there are. I am curious what folks here would recommend for this application?

Well, if you can do it with a stepper, a Beagle Bone and the Machinekit branch of LinuxCNC is a pretty small and low-cost way to go. The whole controller (for really small motors) can fit in a 4" cube or so.

Jon