On 19/02/2019 17:30, John Dammeyer wrote:
Lester,
I would never buy the far east solution myself.  My original point was that
building a dedicated box that does everything and doesn't use, as the OP
remarked, use old PC technology, isn't really an option when the price of
those systems is so low.

I still think the BBB with Replicape is a good choice even if I'm not using
mine yet.

I've got the BBB plugged into a CRAMPS board with MachineKit installed, but still need to work out if I'm configuring it for the 3D printer or a Lathe ;) The 'far east' solution for the printer does most of the job but falls short the second one needs to tweak something, although I DO now have the config file for it and that does allow some changes to be made. I THINK my point was that while the far east stuff is obviously based on other open source code it is only the likes of LinuxCNC that actually allows a flexible path forward. The far east boxes are basically what you see is all you get? And then they don't even document just what they are selling?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL