On 09.03.19 11:54, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
> You are mining coal in Australia maybe you would be better of turn
> some of the combustible material to bio fuel?

Spot on. The Black Saturday fires released the energy of 1500 Hiroshima
bombs. As an individual, I can do at least three things:

Continue to heat only with biomass (firewood), as I've done here for 30
years, and the family has done on the farm for 53 years. Each trip out
there is offset by bringing back 3/4 tonnes of firewood for heating
here.

Make the new build on the farm carbon neutral, and preserve over 200 Ha.
of forest to absorb CO2 that others produce.

Vote (in May) to defeat the reigning government COALition which has
reportedly been bought by the coal industry with a million dollars of
campaign contributions, and fervently represents them rather than the
people.

Despite that, though, coal fired power stations are closing down
regularly, without replacement. We have the highest domestic PV solar
adoption rate in the world, according to local propaganda, and those
gigawatts are replacing entire power stations despite the best efforts
of big coal to thwart the people's efforts. Coal power has become so
uneconomic here that no bank will lend to build a coal power station.

South Australia has installed a massive battery from Tesla to fill
energy gaps. A second power cable to Tasmania will make it a better
accumulator for the mainland, using pumped hydro. On the mainland,
several billion dollars are to be put into tunnelling through yet more
mountains to convert the Snowy River hydro scheme to pumped hydro as
well. More coal fired power stations will close as that comes on line,
and we have the lakes and heights to provide the entire nation's
dispatchable power needs without a single coal or nuclear power station.

The first networked CST (Concentrated Solar Thermal) power station is
about to come off the drawing board at long last. The only one in
service is powering 20 Ha of glasshouses in South Australia, providing
power, heating, and desalination for irrigation. In time we will catch
up with North Africa on this brilliant replacement for coal. I believe
they're powering an entire city for 8 hours after sunset, using molten
salt.

China is weaning itself off thermal coal - I think they realise that
tropical storms will give them a belting if they don't. India is lagging
somewhat on the technology curve, and currently needs the dangerous cheap
coal fix to power their economic and technology climb - regrettably.

We have slow learners here, despite all the fires, droughts, and floods.
They're in denial, and refuse to open their minds to the snowballing
environmental crunch which is just beginning to roll down on us.
Hopefully there are not enough of them for the servants of coal to
remain in power. (The number of government ministers announcing that
they're not running in the election does seem to indicate that they've
seen the writing on the wall.)

The fires will not defeat us, but an inability to farm, due to lack of
water, is already making life very hard for many. We can currently feed
more than twice our population, but that will not continue. The current
leaders don't know how to deal with the growing climate dislocation. We
will go through a rigorous learning process which will strip a lot of
delusions from folk who think the changes are temporary rather than a
harbinger of greater change to come. Our children will not thank us.
(Still, it might bring on peak population at a lower count, thus helping
the planet in the long run.)

Erik