Hey Chris,

AFAIK, the Pi has better HDMI support compared to the Beagle but then it was
designed more for multimedia.  The Beagle PRUs have the advantage that they
have access to some of the Beagle Processor RAM.  That gives them a bit of an
advantage over the PI/32 bit hybrid using SPI.

> Somepeople are using BeagalBone Black boards because the BBB has those
> PRUs.   This is like the Pi/STM32 hybrid, logically identical.

I did a project last year where I used a PIC32 as a Vehicle CAN bus monitor
collecting CAN packets, timestamping and logging GPS information during the 20
seconds or so it took the Pi3 to boot.   Once the PI was alive, an app written
initially in Python but then changed to C for speed, would gather and file the
messages chronologically for later forwarding up to a cloud database. Someone
else wrote that software.   Our connection between the two applications the
files and pipes.

In developing that project I chose the PIC32 over an STM32 because price of the
processor wasn't a consideration but having an ICD-3 In Circuit Debugging tool
was invaluable.  I used the free PIC32 compiler and MPLAB IDE.  Development
board that could hold MIKROE Click modules
https://www.mikroe.com/click
The CLICK boards made changing our minds really easy.

What's available for the STM32 that is equivalent to the In Circuit Debuggers
from Microchip?

John Dammeyer
http://www.autoartisans.com