On 3/10/19 5:12 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> California, where I live passed a law that the electric grid be
> powered by 100% renewable energy.   Some said it was a dream but
> economic forces are already such that the plan is ahead of schedule.
> Last year for a few days the grid over 50% renewable....
>
> THere is also a law requiring panels of every new home.

Good ideas don't require government coercion.  The market will solve
problems like this far more efficiently.  It's an historical fact that
central economic planning doesn't work.  Government control of an
economy always results in poor quality products and shortages with
people standing in long lines for food or on a waiting list to buy a
poor excuse for a car they can't afford.  Current example of a failed
government controlled economy:  Venezuela.  Even ignoring the inevitable
corruption, no bureaucrat has the detailed information that a market
effortlessly uses to accurately allocate resources.

My 30W solar panel arrived today, along with sixteen 18650 lithium
batteries, battery holders, DC-DC voltage converters that I'm using as a
solar charge controller, and a battery balancing circuit.  These are all
inexpensive parts that I bought on Amazon and they're a bit less
expensive on eBay.  No engineering required.  Wire the modules together
and Bob's your uncle.  No government laws were required to force me to
use solar power, either.