The free cad cam options just don't seem to work for us, Clunky is what
comes to mind plus no ability to handle other formats. I do admire the
people that can
Live in that realm. I have a crew of 10-12 guy's and getting everyone on the
same page is tough as they all have opinions.
Retro-fitted 4 machines to LinuxCNC and four years later they make parts
everyday but there is still a stigma of free
And homebrewed that hangs over the controls, especially with new guys. I
should mention I just had a Retro-fit of a
Deckle Maho DMU 80P, had MS-Tech come in and hang their control on it. It's
not Fanuc, Fagor, Heidenhain or ProtoTrak and I am sure it will
carry the same stigma.

Back to fusion should clarify that I am a job shop and we have to open
customer drawings and prints in many different formats.
Life may or may not be easier if we were only working on our own files
making and controlling every process
>From design to manufacture. The other thing, is I need at least three seats
of Cad and at least two seats of Cam.

The cost of Fusion at $495 a seat looks pretty good to me balanced against
the maintenance fees I am already paying
2 seats of Alibre (for making drawings from Customer Solids)
1 seat of Visual Cam (3D mill work)
3 seats ProgeCad (is a bargain, great Autocad clone in my opinion) no
maintenance fees just buy seats.
3 seats of ShopCam (very reasonable and great for turning and 2d milling)

Knowing I can save back-ups locally may be the answer. Will I be held
hostage? Maybe, but
there is the possibility that I can migrate to one system over time. My real
needs are the ability
to make and open 2D drawings as well as solids and generate trouble free
tool paths.

Jeff Johnson
john...@superiorroll.com
Superior Roll & Turning
734-279-1831

One comment.    The Fusion 360 files to not "hold you hostage" I routinely
same my work in *.STEP file format  Fusion can use any of about a half
dozen industry standard files formats.   And can read and write the native
format of it's competitors.   DOn't work abut file formats.   Fusion is a
good tol to use to convert from one file type to another.      Plans are in
the works to allow Fusion to natively edit competitor's files with no
conversion needed

Yes, I keep the backup design files on my own computer and I do like to
keep the backups in at least two different file formats.  I keep my work
saved to both Fusiion's format and *.STEP

Fusion is about the ONLY reasonably priced (free) option if your product
looks like this:   Below is from a Fusion tutorial where they show you how
to make the yellow plastic shell and grey rubber over-mold and the
mechanical parts that turn the motor's rotary motion to back and forth saw
motion and also how to make a simulation and animated video of the moving
parts.

You are NOT going to make a saw like this in FreeCAD or and you are NOT
going to hand code the g-code files.
Yes you can actually build stuff like this saw in a home shop.    What I
want is a robot vacuum cleaner that can do stairs
all by itself at night.    The hard part is no longer the mechanics,  It is
the motion planning software.

[image: sawzall-v19-v13-v6-3500-3500.jpg]