On Monday 08 April 2019 06:36:58 andy pugh wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 11:21, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Thanks Andy. Looks like a quite capable board set. Is it purchasable
> > assembled from somebody?
>
> No. As I said in the email when I first mentioned it.
>
> > For how much an axis?
>
> About $100 including heatsink, DIN mount and screen-printed case. But
> that was a not-for-profit batch of 50 that I had made.

Meaning for profit propduction will be closer to $200 USD/axis. That
makes the motors with builtin servo's more palatable.  They are
beginning to show up on fleabay for around $110 and up depending on
size. I had to go for the AC powered driver to get enough for the
G0704's Z, so against my better judgement I have around $270 in that
axis as the driver is around $190 on my front deck. Generic 2m542's are
down to the $30 range, and mid sized nema 23's are down to $40 or less,
psu's are stable but voltages are wrong, what we need is a 40-42 volt 15
amp, but most jump from 24 (inadequate for speed reasons) to 48 (too
much for a 2m542), so I've had to resort to hacking up a toroid linear,
2 times when converting the Sheldon.  And X is still slow, 30 ipm max
but its a 2/1 belt reduction. Less on Z.

This 6040 has very small motors on it, but x & y marches along at 210 ipm
max, faster than I'll ever cut anything except maybe butternut. All
23's, core lengths from 27mm to 35mm, but they get the job done.  But
the electronics are all throwaway, the 24 volt motor psu is running in
foldback at 14 volts if the A is plugged in, and the vfd can't be told
to reverse, and still can't make up its mind to run in fwd or rev,
changing its mind by the week without me doing anything. Got a heung
yeung(sp?) like on the Sheldon but for 110 volt wall power, s/b be here
yet this week. By then I should have the power relay working and be
ready to clean up the bed and go to work with it. I even added the .hal
stuff to run it earlier this morning.  But I'm running out of time to do
my taxes so thats next after a skinny dip. :( Usually get quite a nice
refund though. :)  The state seems to be deciding to take it easy on old
folks the last 2 or 3 years.  Makes WV a good place to retire compared
to some that look at us living on pensions or SS as bottomless pockets.