John hello
I am sorry I did not specify which iso to use.
see https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/  for scheduled expiration dates of Debians
see http://www.linuxcnc.org/downloads/  for recommendations and caveats

I understand that any search you may have tried likely sent you to the
Wheezy version
The paths to Linuxcnc and many and 'a maze of twisted little passages'
with conflicting and out of date informations.
(IMO)

Wheezy is very old and support is gone from Debian
The newer Jeesie is better but its hard to find a live iso with it.
There is a version with Debian 9 'Stretch' with RTPREEMPT
  and you _may_find it better suited to a longer use life.

I have Wheezy and Jessie and Stretch each installed on seperate partitions,
and will migrate my favorite apps to Stretch if possible.

There are gotcha's in using the Linuxcnc partition as your workhorse
install,
LinuxCNC is conservative and not bleeding edge
meaning its core will not have the newest applications available
moreover the system you get from the live CD may not even allow you to
build what you want from source.
Theres a lot of dependancies in various aplications and libraries and
languages.

IF you limit the install to just running LinuxCNC you'll be better off
THAN ( not then ) if you add multimedia apps, java, various pythons, and
the new goodies just announced on Google.
( put those on another system or partition )

Here's my 2c for your situation...
   I think you could now recreate the Wheezy install in a short time
   You will be able to do the same for Stretch in as much time
   You will get a future path for applications in Stretch ( missing in
Wheezy )
   So I suggest keeping what you have learned but moving to the new iso
   ( editing for the charge pump is minor )
end my 2c

see
http://www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
for images