On Monday 27 May 2019 06:48:35 pm John Dammeyer wrote:

> > > When I run Linux with a customized hal and config file it will
> > > crash with the window with the errors.  But after that I can't
> > > even run the stock single parallel port version without it
> > > crashing.  It's like the 0x378 port has now vanished.
> >
> > It has. You will need to blacklist ppdev as its grabbing the port
> > before LCNC can.  The manpage for modprobe should explain how to
> > blacklist it.

The above has been true more or less since about 2002 when I first became
aware of emc.

However, on those machines that are using a Mesa interface, and do not
have a load on the mainboards parport, there is not only no blacklist of
ppdev, an lsmod says its loaded. So I don't have a machine that has it
blacklisted today as I repurposed the box named shop to run the 6040
thru a 5i25/7i76 combo.  That works well but I'd like more encoders.