On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:41 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> I will state that encoders with less than 1000 counts per turn aren't
> going to be ultimately usefull on a mill where its also stablilizing
> speed, but even a 240 count I am getting from hall effect sensors

There is a trick to making this work.    If you have a
low-resolution encoder, what you do is NOT count the number of "ticks" per
time interval.     But rather measure the number of nanoseconds (not
microseconds) between each "tick"

Then you control the motor voltage to keep the number of nanoseconds at the
desited value.    In practice you sample a fast clock or counter on each
encoder edge.   Gives very accurate results even with poor encoders.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California