In the past, I have had a reasonable amount of luck reducing real time
delays by building a custom kernel.  Not sure if those kinds of gains are
still possible.  And it's a lot of work unless you are using realtime
preempt.

As far as Gene's problem with the beep, they are probably using the 8051 on
the system management bus for that.  I wonder if a sound card would have
the same problem. I think most beeps can be routed through the sound card.
Eric Keller
Boalsburg, Pennsylvania