On Friday 14 February 2020 11:14:18 Chris Albertson wrote:

> Looking at the PDF, It seems I forget to ask one question about the
> signal: Is the sin/cos signal single-ended or differential?   In other
> words is it referenced to ground or do we get pins with labels like
> sin+ and sin-

The coils are usually isolated, with op-amp bias supplied to one end of
the coils, so you get sin plus and minus and cosine + and -

> If there are even 100 pulses per revolution and the spindle runs at
> 100K RPM then we are talking about 10000K or 10 MHz.   At that point I
> start thinking about hardware quadrature decoding rather than software
> or in the Linux CNC world they use FPGA chips.

Where would one find a 100k rpm device with an encoder.

> But without understanding the signal it is way to early to even think
> about a design solution.    Let's see what's on all the wires first.

IDK about resolvers but the quad in a 5i25 shouldn't have a problem with
a quad signal at 10 MHz.

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:29 AM dave engvall <dengv...@charter.net>
wrote:
> > a bit overdone for your app but this should give you an idea. page
> > down to fig 16.
> >

> > https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/applicati
> >on_note/group0/6a/82/83/37/61/69/4e/74/DM00497286/files/DM00497286.pd
> >f/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00497286.pdf
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On 2/13/20 11:01 PM, andrew beck wrote:
> > > Chris.  I'm still learning electronics.  Could you expand a bit on
> > > this please.
> > >
> > > Maybe draw a napkin sketch of it.  Sorry to be a bit slow on the
> > > uptake
> > >
> > > On Thu, Feb 13, 2020, 5:46 AM Chris Albertson
> > > <albertson.ch...@gmail.com

> > threshold

> > clip

> > needed

> > 5v

> > Zealand

> > card

I am spinning a $20 1000 line encoder on the rear of the spindle motor.
That is a diff output I'm making into rail to rail sq waves with rs485
convertors. Wide open at the motor is still 4000 edges per turn. In high
gear the spindle makes 3k revs, 750 more than OEM. The gear ratio in the
head in high gear is a bit over 7.1 so at 3g indicated that 4000 edges =
something in the 70k area, which is absolutely not a problem. This is
with the A/B coming from the motor, but the index coming from an opto
wheel under the drawbar bolt. gear ratios determined by counting A
signals for 100 turns of the spindle, so I use 2 different scale values
controlled by switches on the rim of the gearshift knob. That means
everything is accurate to a very small fraction of 1%. And it works very
well even at Pgains that totally hide any load induced slowdown, I am
not aware of any overload until the currant limiter in Jon's (pico
systems) pwm-servo which is what I am driving that motor with from a 126
volt home brewed psu that needs at least a 20 amp supply breaker.  Its
set for around 17 amps making the iron in the motor squeak, at close to
double that motors nameplate FLA. Don't ask why I haven't stripped the
plastic gears in the G0704's head, I don't know and they're now nearly 5
years old. Since that driver is a true 4 quadrant driver, I took
advantage of the knob switches to run the motor at about 35-40 rpms when
neither switch is closed, so when the spindle is running but in the
wrong gear, I can reach up and change gears quite safely as when neither
switch is closed the motor is down to that idle speed in less than 200
millisecs, the psu has absorbed the braking energy, jumping to around
150 volts, the the gears can slide into engagement with the next gear
without any noises, and by the time the other switch roller drops into
the slot, closing the other switch which allows to commanded speed back
to the driver, its 99% engaged, and 200 ms later its back at the
commanded motor speed but in the other gear, and that huge higher
voltage is used up by being fed to the motor to bring it back to set
speed and everything is back to normal.

But don't try this with a switching power supply as it will be destroyed
by the stored energy being pumped back into it. Thats an analog supply
with enough microfarads for storage that I have to soft start it with a
100 ohm 200 watt resistor for about 3 seconds else it trips a 30 amp
breaker when its turned on. 4 huge 600 watt toroids and 65,000 uf to
charge up.

Information overload? Probably but it demos that anything you want LCNC
to do is just a matter of hacking up the hal code and wiring it up to do
it.  The machine its running is more of the limits than LinuxCNC will
ever be.

 - Louis D. Brandeis