partial reply to Gene's comments.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/reference-design-documentation/reference-designs/CN0276.pdf

On 2/14/20 6:20 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 14 February 2020 16:30:51 Andy Pugh wrote:

On 14 Feb 2020, at 20:55, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

The coils are usually isolated, with op-amp bias supplied to one end
of the coils, so you get sin plus and minus and cosine + and -
I don’t think we are talking about coils here.

I was Andy, see the link Dave Engval posted to a pdf from a maker of such
that described sin/cos encoders well. I've never used one but that was a
well written tome, including the math I got lost in. What they didn't
cover to my satisfaction was how they made a single cycle per turn into
a many cycles per turn with index at the outout. Proprietary stuff
inside the IC they were discussing, and which some would call magic, and
which could result in a lag between position and output.  But thats just
a SWAG since I have zero experience with the care and feeding of such
critters.