On 02/16/2020 01:26 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

Jon, are you saying that a 25 line ribbon cable doesn't work right omn a
D-525-MW mobo? Or is there a length beyond which it not reliable?

I ask because the only times I've had a cable problem, driving it with
either of my D-525-MW's parports it really was a cable problem.

A long ribbon cable will not work. The critical pins are 1 (write/), 14 (DataStrobe/), 17 (AddrStrobe), and 11 (Wait). These will be next to other signals on a ribbon cable. Possibly a twisted-pair ribbon would be slightly better. I have gotten away with a one foot ribbon cable on my PPMC hardware, but
much longer than that and the crosstalk starts to cause errors.

I have a diagnostic program, and one option is a write and readback test that sends random data to the encoder counters and reads it back as fast as it can. My confidence test is if it can do 100,000 cycles with zero errors, then all is good. (This only takes 30 seconds or so.)

Jon