On Saturday 16 May 2020 09:13:45 andy pugh wrote:

> On Sat, 16 May 2020 at 13:46, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > I ask 'cuz I'm going to see if I can find out today why I can't turn
> > the index axle on the side much more than 1 turn and it bind
>
> There is an end-thrust adjustment for the worm shaft on the opposite
> side of the unit.
> Also, the worm shaft housing is eccentric and can be rotated to either
> have low backlash or to be able to make a full rotation.
> (I imagine with a good one you can achieve both, with the one I had
> (BS0) it was an either/or proposition.

Much like the $100 4" table I have now, eccentric tolerance in both the
worm and the worm gear were as you'd expect, sloppy. After I had
motorized it, I set it so the motor could turn it, then ran it at speed
back and forth several turns for a week thinking I could wear it in.  No
diff. I've been using it, but with its backlash approaching a degree in
places Its not been asked to do more than the hex head of a bolt. I
needed to make a BIG wood drill and had to take cuts not over a couple
thou or it would slip the motor as it was spiraling. I did get the holes
drilled, but it was a PITA

I'd cut a slot in the front deck to make a wheel chair ramp for my
missus, and was erecting guard rails around it.  Still there, still
solid 3 years later though. Considering the quality of the treated wood
18" stub posts inside that pretty plastic guard railing, I am impressed.

I get the impression I'll have to take it all apart, and wash out lots of
machining debris. And there is not room under the GO704 spindle to tilt
it upward, not enough post.  Maybe should have bought a BS-0.  Or a
bigger mill...  I can also see a problem with my original 2 belt idea to
drive it, I thought the side crank was on the end of the worm but I
don't think it is.  My idea was to setup the first belt from the motor
to a big 2 step pulley on the head tilt rotation axis, and another short
belt down to the worm shaft, but there appears to be an intermediate
gear inside to drive the worm. Or something since I've not taken that
stuff off yet.

There does appear to be an 8mm tapped hole located at the tilt axis
center on the right side but that seems a bit puny to put an idler
pulley setup shaft on.  Thinking out loud.  People who know better
should correct me. :)

I did find a manual for a similar version at grizzly.  Some diffs but not
show stoppers at first read.  Obviously written by a lawyer, far more
warnings than any real info.

Come the revolution, we are going to need a longer wall. :-\

 - Louis D. Brandeis