On Thursday 21 May 2020 12:07:42 John Dammeyer wrote:

> It's fairly robust.  Like a Grizzly G3616.
> http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/Mill_CNC

I almost bought one of those off the showroom floor at Lycoming Mall up
in PA when grizzly had a facility there, but couldn't figure out how to
get it home 350 miles to WV with my 99 GMC half ton surviving the trip,
Too tall for a cargo van from uhaul, and IIRC its about 8k lbs.
Trucking would have added to the price, a lot I thought.  Sigh.

> But it's got a poor excuse for an ACME feed not on the X axis with
> about 0.024" backlash.

Yikes!

> Climb milling in the X direction with slow RPM
> and a large cutter causes the table to shake.  So once the spindle
> speed control system is in place the whole thing is coming apart for a
> ball screw retrofit.  And belt guards and covers etc.
>
> So with the current backlash it may not be robust enough for round
> cutters.
>
> John

 - Louis D. Brandeis