On Saturday 04 July 2020 13:54:05 andy pugh wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 at 18:02, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Attacking HSS with diamond is a waste of time and burns up the
> > expen$ive diamond.
>
> Whilst it is meant to be a terrible idea, in practice it works OK.
>
> > I have a 4" cup cbn wheel, but the arbors are junk, so its contact
> > isn't true.
>
> As bad as this one?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1NwskdkFv4
> (I got my money back on that one. And confidently predict that the URL
> won't work for Gene)
>
> You have a lathe? Re-machine the wheel and/or the arbor.

My memory seemed to tell me I made that arbor BEFORE I found the bent
spindle, so I just went out and dissed the arbor out of it and sure
enough I had to shave about 3 thou off the face to get clean steel all
around.  The BS-1 is in the way so I can't test it, but it looks dead
true in the lathe now.  But it would be about an hours work to rebuild
the sharpening rig on the table and its north of 90F out there.

Finally found the AC remote and started it.  That should help.  Theres a
lot of mass to cool, but that 2008 garage I built is way better
insulated than this early 1970's house.  Even a toy 5k btu AC works
quite well given enough time to pump the heat out. 6" walls full of
cocoon, a foot of it on the ceiling. Even the garage door has another
R-11 glued to the inside face.  Worst heat leak is probably the back
door, which opens to the back yard.

 - Louis D. Brandeis