On 07/04/2020 04:26 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

IIRC no sparks, 200 or so revs, could just barely hear it touching,
peeled two strips down to the alu about 1/4" wide. Not at all impressed.
Up to that point, I was watching a very thin cloud of steel dust
drifting away in the work light and figured it would get to where it
should be in about half an hour.  I wound up doing it on the bench
grinder with a glass of water to keep from burning my fingers.

Unless you are whetting the edge on a scalpel, no need to use diamond to shape a lathe tool.

A coarse alumina wheel will do a fine job.

Jon