On Tuesday 07 July 2020 19:23:28 Phill Carter wrote:

> This post on the forum seemed to solve a similar issue.
>
> <https://forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-questions/38929-linuxc
>nc-2-9-jogging-velocity-fluctuations?start=10#165711>

That also makes perfect sense.  The stutter then is a false key-up before
the next keydown. Somebody writing kbd software thought he was doing it
right by making sure they stayed balanced. A pile of key-downs in the
buffer would be guarded against just just because it seemed like the
right thing to do.

But it still boils down to flaky hdwe. And its surprising to me that he
found a way to control it on an individual key basis.  A play by play of
how to do it would have been nice though.

> > On 8 Jul 2020, at 8:21 am, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > wrote:

> >> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/commit/29f52a6e2be42f7785e965a
> >>700 2eaecf33f0b7aa#diff-5368256524ea7313310fa9c396bbbcf2
> >>
> >> Might have made a problem with a bouncy keyboard more obvious?
> >>
> >> Try reverting to e09ae64fb0a76355b4f559e28c91a29fb25af8ce and
> >> seeing if the behaviour changes.
> >>
> >> Is sounds like an easy problem to find, so a git bisect will
> >> probably work well (if i am allowed to mention git on the Users
> >> list)
> >
> > I'm moderately convinced the OP has flaky hdwe. I have only observed
> > this back when I was driving the sheldon with a pi3, and blamed the
> > occasional stutter on a traffic jam in the internal usb-2 hub since
> > all of that on the pi3 goes thru one internal hub.  Running the
> > exact same kernel on a pi4, I have not observed a stutter, ever.  On
> > the pi3 it was keyboard arrow keys only, mdi moves, or running
> > program code, zero stutters as that spi path doesn't go thru the
> > usb.  With the pi4, and its usb-3, its gone.
> >
> > I've not noted it on either of the D-525-MW mobo's, nor on an
> > elderly Dell that runs the GO704, but I believe all 3 of those have
> > more than one internal usb-2 hub.
> >
> > A good look at dmesg after a reboot would allow the number of hubs
> > to be discovered, and might be educational. I use (mostly logitek)
> > wireless keyboards and mice on everything.  And I'm surprised I
> > don't have problems with the Dell, as my portable house phones will
> > not work understandably within 10 feet of that Dell, its one old
> > noisy piece of junk, but it runs the mill just fine.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis
> > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene
> > <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>>

 - Louis D. Brandeis