On Tuesday 21 July 2020 14:44:12 Robert Ellenberg wrote:

> I totally agree that a silent failure mode (especially one that can
> break taps) is bad news. Perhaps thankfully, we've gotten away with it
> for a long time: based on the git history, the 10-rev overshoot limit
> and this silent failure mode has been around at least since the 2.6
> days, maybe earlier.
>
> I have a few ways in mind to fix this:
>
>    1. Throw an error and abort motion if it reaches some threshold of
>    overshoot (say 90% of the maximum), or maybe if the position
> tracking error exceeds some threshold.
>    2. Check if the rigid tap motion + max overshoot exceeds the axis
> limits (currently we check before adding the overshoot allowance,
> which in theory could lead to motion past the soft limits)
>    3. (optional) Tell motion what the expected spindle acceleration is
> (via HAL pin), so that it can start reversing before it hits the
> bottom of the hole (reducing the overshoot). Leaving this pin at zero
> (default) would give you the current behavior.

Option 3 sounds like a great idea Rob, and it would/could/should be made
to work with the G33.1 peck wrapper I hasn't published yet. I could even
imagine 5 or 6 strokes, cutting air and programming that to achieve zero
overshoot by actively adjusting the Z stop. Making it smarter than the
average bear.

>  -Rob
>
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:17 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 July 2020 13:09:16 andy pugh wrote:

> > > That feels like there should be an error message.
> > >
> > > "Maximum rigid tapping limit exceeded. And furthermore I have just
> > > broken your tap"
> >
> > "Maximum rigid tapping limit exceeded. And furthermore I have just
> >  broken your $85 carbide tap"
> >
> > There, I fixed it for you. :(
> >
> > 10 turns is way too far. I cut air at least once to measure the
> > turnaround (I have that stuff in my .hal file) and in what I have
> > done, that has led me to set a personal limit of 2 turns. Taking a
> > broken tap out of a valuable blind hole via EDM is a genuine PITA
> > and I will do whatever it takes to avoid that. But, I would not
> > uncouple the spindle from the tap either, killing the spindle drive
> > ASAP instead, then one might be able to  back the tap out of the
> > hole with the spindle, salvaging the part so maybe the hole could be
> > finished by hand.
> >
> > 10 turns, breaking the tap is the wrong thing to do. Shutting down,
> > leaving it coupled before the tap breaks is the best thing to do.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

 - Louis D. Brandeis