I got the braking resistor installed, fiddled with all the DC injection braking
and dynamic braking parameters on the machine, then started turning down the
deceleration time.  It looks like I only tuned the acceleration time when I
originally installed the VFD because it was set to the default 10 seconds.  I
turned it down to 0.6 seconds and tested a reversal of direction up to 1000
RPM.  Worked great.  Also, since the mechanical brake kicks in automatically
when stopping, the drive doesn’t fault out even when the varispeed head is set
to max RPM.  I can’t imagine I’ll need to tap at 1000 RPM, but I estimated that
1000 RPM to 0 RPM in 0.6 seconds should be approximately equal to 10
revolutions (assuming a linear deceleration).  I didn’t bother to push it
further.  No idea how much the braking resistor helps, but it certainly doesn’t
hurt.

Upon testing, I found that rigid tapping worked as intended, aside from one
glitch on the first attempt after powering up where it hung in the down
position and running in reverse.  Not sure of the cause there, but I wasn’t
able to reproduce the error.  In practice, 560 RPM resulted in an overshoot
equal to a bit under 3 revolutions.  I figure if I allow 5 revolutions of
margin to the bottom of the hole, I should be fine.  I tested it repeatedly,
including running a program tapping two holes in delrin.  Thank you all for
your help.  I’ll run it a few more times before declaring it solved, but so far
so good!

As to configuring speed control of the VFD, that’s for another day.  I plan to
do it eventually, but for now I’m thrilled I didn’t need to resort to more
sophisticated fixes.  I’m fine with manually setting my speed.