On 07/24/2020 02:09 AM, andrew beck wrote:
Greg can you educate me on what what gear cutters are enough for most gear
cutting needs?  Fusion 360 has a nice gear profile generator I can use.
But I'll have to model all the cutters after that I think...  Thinking keep
them pretty simple with no helix angle or anything.  And maybe plan to cut
most of it out with a endmill straight down the middle before putting the
gear cutter through the cut

Well, the traditional horizontal mill gear cutters usually come in a set of 6 for each gear tooth pitch. You use each cutter for a range of tooth counts for that tooth pitch. And, there are 14.5 degree and 20 degree pressure angles. So, there end up being a LOT of gear cutters that one could possibly need.

Jon