The real problem with the wider adoption of LinuxCNCis that it is there kit
of parts and does not work out of the box.   After that it gets worse, the
parts are unfamiliar to most people.

What is needed before it will see wide use is a re-architecture.   Move the
real-time components to open-source hardware and then remove the need for
real-time Linux and make the non-real-time parts cross platform
Linux/Windows/Mac.    3D printers are not unlike milling machines. Note how
they work, you can use any computer you own and all the real-time stuff is
on a circuit card that is not inside your computer.  These printers run
g-code and move MUCH faster then mills

After you do this the system is "plug and play" and runs on a computer the
user already has.

Years ago the few Linux users were wondering how Linux could be more widely
used.  The answer was to hide the fact that it was Linux.  That is what
Google did with Android.  Now Android (Linux) is the most used OS in the
world having more than twice as many users as Microsoft Windows.

So, to make LinuxCNC nearly universal, hide it inside a product that is
slick and easy to install and use.  No one should have to look at HAL files
or know it runs on Linux.  They can learn, but if learning is required it
will always remain a niche product.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 6:28 AM Greg Bernard <marzetti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's one reason I suggested working on making LinuxCNC more appealing to
> the Maker community. Younger folks would be likely to take up the challenge
> of making such things happen.
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020, 2:59 AM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 at 07:04, TJoseph Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > If You are thinking of conversational, you might look at Fanuc Macro B
> > > for ideas. Its a tool they had for conversational programming. Pretty
> > > old school appearance but the idea of a macro dialog  interpreter
> > > inside the control was very leading edge in the 80's
> >
> > We have a selection of such things, including ngcgui and nativecam
> > (and my own lathe macros). But they aren't _particularly_ graphically
> > slick.
> > They might actually be just as functional, but they aren't shiny stuff
> > for the tablet users.
> >
> > --
> > atp
> > "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> > designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> > lunatics."
> > — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1912

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California