On Fri, 2020-09-04 at 15:39 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 04 September 2020 13:20:26 Valerio Bellizzomi wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2020-09-04 at 10:02 -0700, Chris Albertson wrote:

> > > I wrote that to show why it will never happen.   But also to make a
> > > point that there does exist a pattern in the way complex niche
> > > products become mainstream.   Usually, another layer is built around
> > > it.    PCs were kind of rare until Windows covered over the DOS
> > > command line.
> >
> > This is questionable. I used a PC with UNIX in 1984 and all our
> > clients had UNIX. No graphics interface, only command line, databases
> > and ad-hoc graphic programs. This was before Windows, we had UNIX and
> > DOS in dual-boot on some PCs, UNIX on the servers. However the Apple
> > Mac already had a graphics interface :-)
> >
> Our first experince with unix, was on an AT&T 3B2 CBS bought all the
> affiliates as a message service.  It was not a good experience because
> the 3b2 was built like most Apples, the first layer of dust and cheap
> sleeve bearing fans killed a fan and usually started a fire. I had a
> halon extinguisher sitting next to it that got used a couple times.
> Then CBS bought us all new systems running on a pc, running NT-3.5.1,
> which had a built in timer in its housekeeping that deleted the
> main .dll about every 2 years. I called Redmond and got called a pie rat
> because I wanted a copy of that .dll.  I washed my hands of anything
> that looked like windows, somebody else could have that headache and
> when I decided my amiga was on its last legs, and built a pc from parts
> in '98, it got red hat 5.0 installed. My property has a bounty on
> windows, and no windows I've ever been forced to buy has lasted more
> than a week past the warranty. I have one win-10 box, a $330 hp thing
> used as a display for drawing smith charts of an AM broadcast tower,
> couldn't make the linux drivers work. IMNSHO Win-10 is a damned poor
> substutute for Linux.  But you ALL know that. :)
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

My first experience with unix was on my IBM PC1, with one 5 1/4 floppy
and a 32MB IBM hard disk. the OS was Interactive Systems Unix and DOS
3.3 in dual-boot. But this was after playing/programming four years with
my Commodore 64.
I still have the C64 in a drawer with all the devices and floppies :-)
Also I have conserved the DOS Turbo Pascal 3.0 compiler and also Turbo
Prolog, Fortran 77 4.1 and Autocad 2.9 :-)