On Fri, 2020-09-04 at 10:02 -0700, Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 9:50 AM Mark Wendt <wendt.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 12:41 PM Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com
> > >
> > wrote
> > > ...So, to make LinuxCNC nearly universal, hide it inside a product that
> > is
> > > slick and easy to install and use.  No one should have to look at HAL
> > files
> > > or know it runs on Linux.  They can learn, but if learning is required it
> > > will always remain a niche product.
> > >

> > Great stuff!  So, when are you going to get started on this project?
> >

> I wrote that to show why it will never happen.   But also to make a point
> that there does exist a pattern in the way complex niche products become
> mainstream.   Usually, another layer is built around it.    PCs were kind
> of rare until Windows covered over the DOS command line.

This is questionable. I used a PC with UNIX in 1984 and all our clients
had UNIX. No graphics interface, only command line, databases and ad-hoc
graphic programs. This was before Windows, we had UNIX and DOS in
dual-boot on some PCs, UNIX on the servers. However the Apple Mac
already had a graphics interface :-)