On Sunday 20 September 2020 01:25:34 Gregg Eshelman via Emc-users wrote:

> Ugh. Why can't it just do all that automatically to whatever is the
> currently selected part of what's on the screen, or all of it if all
> of what's on screen is one object?Save > Export > .STL and the
> software does the rest behind the scenes.
>
>     On Saturday, September 19, 2020, 12:03:07 PM MDT, grumpy--- via
> Emc-users <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote: i have used freecad
> enough to be a middle'n noib
> this is how i do it
> save my .fcstd so i can come back and re-edit
> in the top row select "Mesh design" in the drop down
> in the left top panel select your design, "Cut"
> in the top menu click "Meshes"
> select "Create mesh from shape"
> select "Standard"
> select "OK"
> in left top panel click on "Cut (Meshed)"
> right click and select "Export mesh"
> this creates a .stl
> then use cura to slice

as I have stated several times now Gregg, an .stl and cura is not the end
target, it has zero chance of making me a serviceable part as this will
be attached to the side of a 90Kg BS-1 clone. So I want gcode to drive a
cnc'd G0704 working on about a pound of solid alu. Or, since I've a
mister on the 6040, possibly that mill since it can turn 24000 revs and
probably do a better job with the mister keeping the tool free of gummy
alu.

freecad has an export menu that claims to do gcode, but it does not
create the code, nor does it report any error I understand when going
thru the motions. freecad screenshot attached. A simple torus shape,
50mm in diameter, 35mm tall, with a 28mm center hole.  The terminal
freecad is running on says:

Path workbench activated
PathScripts.linuxcnc_post gcode postprocessor loaded.
the object Cut is not a path. Please select only path and Compounds.
the object Cut is not a path. Please select only path and Compounds.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 4, in <module>
<type 'exceptions.RuntimeError'>: The given file is not a path
Stack Trace: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 4, in <module>

Which might as well be swahili to me. To me the "path" is to the location
where its to write the code file to, which does exist and has other
content.  But to freecad, apparently "path" is something else entirely.

As for using github to register for the freecad irc channel, I apparently
am not doing that right either. their registration sends me to github,
but github wants my email address BUT when I fill in that blank, github
says that address exists and refuses to proceed as I use github to pull
LinuxCNC updates to master, and build it on my rpi4 to drive the 11x54
Sheldon.  So github definitely knows who I am, so how does that supposed
to be done? IDK.  All I understand is that I am blocked from asking for
freecad help on their IRC channel. They also have two other ident
choices, but I don't feed the social media vacuums what s/b private
info. My name is not Trump so I don't do twitter and I don't trust
Zuckerburg, full stop there too.

Thanks Gregg.

 - Louis D. Brandeis