On 02/05/2021 03:15 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 05 February 2021 02:57:38 John Dammeyer wrote:

Granted this subject is a bit old I've now had some time to dive back
into the TI F2837xD which has dual processors and other features that
will make it a good test bed for trying out stuff.

It has a hardware Quadrature Encoder Interface (QEI) so theoretically
I should be able to grab encoder counts in any resolution and
calculate spindle position relative to Z axis position and create
moves to track.

I'll report back when I have some more information.
John

As has been told to me, its the time delay between starting the z on the
passing index, until z has reached the synchronous speed and is then
locked at whatever phase exists when sync speed has been achieved
No, I'm pretty sure this is not correct. The Z is locked to the spindle position when the index pulse was detected. This requires the Z to accelerate PAST the required speed to follow the thread for a moment, and that's why you want to cut air for a bit before the tap enters the workpiece. It is also why you need to leave substantial headroom on the Z speed to match the tapping velocity.

Jon

Jon