To add one more idea to the long-running conversation of how to build a
harmonic reduction drive.  Here is a working prototype that looks like the
flex-cup solution is solved.   This could work for many years.     But the
video shows only the idea and a prototype.  I would not make this one but
rather use the idea.  What is needed is better bearing to support the load.

What I would do is make a sturdy metal shaft that connects the output disk,
rotor, input disk and motor, maybe using tapered roller bearings and then
the motor turns the shaft perhaps through a flexible urethane coupler.
Ideally there would be an optical encoder disk buried inside someplace too.

The prototype in the video has nothing but gravity or the user's thumb to
hold it together but it does solve the harder problem of the flex-cup that
can last for many years.

https://youtu.be/9DwqN1pEkVg
--

Chris Albertson