Personally I like the tactile feedback of a button that moves.  But moving from
buttons over to a mouse to then select entries is tedious so I can see either a
number of buttons or a touch screen for that sort of thing.

For the same reason I really detest those interfaces based on Arduino's that,
due to limited I/O use a rotary knob and button to select from all sorts of
menus.  Or worse test enter each digit one at a time using the rotary knob.
Shudder!!!!

Way back HP had the right idea with what they called soft keys.  A row of
mechanical buttons along the edges of the screen to select options displayed
beside the button.  My Tek scope has those and the stupid rotary knobs.
Invariably since they have two of those I tend to choose the wrong one first.

But to design such a user screen for LinuxCNC implies you also have to provide
the buttons (and maybe a knob).  Easy to do with CANopen or ModBus or if you
have one of the high i/o count MESA boards but then you are also running a
bundle of wires up rather than a network cable.

Thanks for the feedback.
John Dammeyer