On Wednesday 02 June 2021 12:26:33 Gerrit Visser wrote:

> Hi Gene
> From discussions with users of my now-archived Gui, they were using it
> for anything from laser 'etching' wood with a lot of tiny moves to a
> Bridgeport and 2" facemills.
> Grbl is quite capable, people get hung up on the lack of some G codes
> and tool changes but for the most part in small shops and hobbyists it
> makes little difference. Even for thread milling and drilling there
> are other options to generate gcode. Fusion360 has a post for Grbl so
> it is possible to stay within its limits.
>
> Grbl is certainly much easier to install than IinuxCNC so if it does
> enough then that is a plus in my opinion. Grbl gets few updates
> because in the main it is supported by 1 person who is busy with life.

That may be, and thaks for the clarification, but at my age, and the
amount of giddyup left, i don't think I'll try to learn a new system. I
am currently running LCNC from the buildbot (master IOW) on 3 wintel
boxes, and building LCNC on an rpi4, for the rpi4, running an 11x54
Sheldon lathe about 70 yo.

I'm now 86, and alone having lost my Mrs to COPD last Pearl Harbor Day,
and was using what little giddyup I have left to start installing a new
vinyl fence around my place, and fighting with a pin oaks roots plus an
old fence post, I was trying to pry out a piece of an old post that must
haven been treated really well. Using an 8 foot 1" steel bar I'd
sharpened one end of that runs around 25-30 lbs, it broke loose from the
33 yo old post's remains, and the 3" tamping pad on the other end of it
came back and smashed dead center into the pacemaker I had put in early
in 2019.  Thinking I'd better check it, I came into range of the monitor
but the monitor wasn't getting it.  So I went out to the Dr's office,
and his machine said it was working fine, and I should come home and do
a reboot of the monitor, which restored that. So I guess I'm as ok as a
guy with a 30% ticker with replacement parts can be. The best
explanation for my longevity is that he's not ready for me. :) I had a
pulmonary embolism at 79, which has a 2% survival rate, but I got by
then with a slight loss of IQ since I started out at 147 70 some years
ago, so I'm still here.

> Gerrit

Take care, and stay well Garrit.

 - Louis D. Brandeis