On Wed, 2021-06-30 at 09:29 -0400, Mark Wendt wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:26 AM Jeff Epler <jep...@unpythonic.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 03:28:11PM -0700, David Bagby wrote:
> > > As far as I know, a CoC for LinuxCNC was NOT "created, reviewed
> > > and
> > accepted
> > > by community members".  It was just simply announced as a fait
> > > accomli.
> > >
> > > Thus it should not be a surprise that there is was no consensus
> > > re its
> > > contents within the community, or that there appears to be little
> > > to zero
> > > by-in from the members of the community.  It's natural for people
> > > see
> > > question anything that suddenly get imposed on them.
> >
> > It's 100% accurate that there I did not initiate discussion on this
> > mailing lists of the code of conduct itself.
> >
> > I did initiate discussion in these ways:
> >
> >  - Publicly by creating a Pull Request on github with the full
> > proposed
> > text
> >    https://github.com/LinuxCNC/wlo/pull/14
> >
> >  - Publicly on the IRC channel #emc-developers by linking to the
> > pull
> > request
> >
> >  - Privately with several of the people who act as moderators of
> > our
> >    various ways of communicating, such as IRC and Matrix
> >
> > No public comment was made on the pull request, which was open for
> > about
> > a week.  The reaction on IRC ranged from agreement to disinterest.
> >
> > Several community members articulated in this thread why the item
> > against "excessive helping" was undesirable. That item has been
> > removed.
> > Thank you to those who participated in that portion of this
> > discussion.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> We still have not heard any reason(s) as to the necessity of having a
> code
> of conduct for this list.
>
>  Mark

In my organization I have established codes of conduct and it seems to
be a winning choice for everybody, no one here is concerned about being
controlled or enforced, they know that codes are a necessary thing for
an organization to be successful in the long term and vis-a-vis of
bigger and broader organizations with which we might interact.

Regards