Encoders have gotten very easy and cheap.
These are small enough to fit inside the drive, and only cost $9 on
Amazon.  They are half this price if bought directly from China and even
less if you have custom PCBs made.   This chip on a custom PCB might cost
about $2 (plus about $25 in express DHL shipping)   But Amazon can ship
next day with Prime.    I've kind of gotten spoiled with "next day"
shipping.
www.amazon.com/....
<https://www.amazon.com/%E3%80%90%F0%9D%90%84%F0%9D%90%9A%F0%9D%90%AC%F0%9D%90%AD%F0%9D%90%9E%F0%9D%90%AB-%F0%9D%90%8F%F0%9D%90%AB%F0%9D%90%A8%F0%9D%90%A6%F0%9D%90%A8%F0%9D%90%AD%F0%9D%90%A2%F0%9D%90%A8%F0%9D%90%A7%E3%80%91-Accurate-Convenient-Brushless/dp/B08MDSP47L/ref=asc_df_B08MDSP47L/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=476098261137&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11652385429783510956&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031026&hvtargid=pla-1167859449320&psc=1>

I'm looking to make a reduction drive too, but I can't use a stepper-driven
harmonic drive.  I need only 1-:1 reduction and the ability to back drive.
 But in either case, these magnetic encoders beat the bulky mechanical ones
and
(1) they are absolute position, not incremental and
(2) they don't need quadrature logic to decode, they output I2C
(3) 12-bits of position resolution
(4) magnetic connection.  So there is no need for a shaft coupler,

The best place to close the position loop is inside the driver, going
through software in a PC introduces performance-killing delay.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California