On Tuesday, February 22, 2022 12:58:05 PM EST Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 9:14 AM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Thanks Martin,
> > His question and the subsequent discussion on the MACH group has
> > morphed in now discussions on whether to use closed loop steppers
> > and ethercat.>
> >  Not sure why everyone is so fond of leadshine closed loop steppers
> >  but
> >
> > what do I know.  I like my AC servos.
>
> The answer is price.  A closed loop stepper is not really stepping.
> The motor is run by an FOC controller and measured with a rotary
> encoders.  The step/direction interface is kept.  So the system is as
> easy to interface as a stepper but has performance characteristics
> like your A/C servo but at about $100 per axis.   The closed-loop
> stepper's disadvantage is they come only in limited sized and power
>
> > A decade or more ago it was MACH3 and the ESS or USB smooth stepper
> > or the EMC as it was then called.  Now it seems there are a lot more
> > CNC solutions around and the number of people even considering LCNC
> > seems to have dropped.
>
> When the typical machinist sees an under $300 turn-key solution on
> Amazon that has an LCD touch screen and is all wired up with software
> and a place to connect the motors.  Then he hears about LCNC where you
> first need to locate an antique computer with a parallel port then
> test it with a latency test then install a modified version of Linux,
> and only then can he begin to edit config files.     He goes for the
> $300 turn-key system.
>
> Here is the "competition"
> amazon.com/DDCSV3-1-Upgrade-Stand-alone-Controller...
> <https://www.amazon.com/DDCSV3-1-Upgrade-Stand-alone-Controller-Engrave
> r/dp/B07SR854D1/ref=pd_sbs_5/139-3455477-1339233?pd_rd_w=oXb8b&pf_rd_p=
> dfec2022-428d-4b18-a6d4-8f791333a139&pf_rd_r=XC1A6X2PEV1N61AZWS5C&pd_rd
> _r=62aa4f06-4bb7-45db-9de9-6bf67f0f4072&pd_rd_wg=sRlvK&pd_rd_i=B07SR854
> D1&psc=1> I think it should be clear why it is attractive.  It is very
> much the polar opposite of what LCNC is.

I dunno. It doesn't say what it cannot do, and that scares me. With lcnc,
I can do as many io's as I can scare up motors for, soon to have a V axis
on my 6040, a if I can carry it on the flimsey X axis, maybe even a U
axis, and a B is also it the planning and printing parts stage.

Can it do rigid tapping with automatic backoff to keep the tap from
bottoming in a blind hole and braking the tap? I can, I have a proof of
concept working but lack the tool holder facility to make it work daily.

Can this thing do that? My guess is a resounding no. But I can do that
with LCNC, all it takes is me writing the hal code.

> > I'm also surprised there isn't some sort of teaching module ready to
> > go for LCNC although again, really, how many even want something
> > like that.

Maybe so, but I can write the code quicker than I could learn how to run
a teaching program.

> > Much as Brian Barker might want to create a module the ultimate issue
> > isn't the starting point but support a year or so later.  Without
> > sales to support the work that only one client wanted that may leave
> > him hi and dry.  At least a DIY LCNC solution is always open source
> > with more than one clever person ready to help.

Which is its strongest testimony. How many other gone by dawn wanabeee's
has LCNC outlasted now.

> That is the big advantage of open source.  But the problem is running
> it on an antique computer using a modified OS and having to hand-wire
> everything yourself scares off 99% of potential users.  I think if you
> could buy a packaged LCNC machine that came inside a closed box with
> an LCD touchscreen and it booted up when you applied power and if you
> could sell it at under $500 and offer tech support and warranty,  then
> LCNC would "take off". The box would still be "hackable" by the 1% who
> wanted to mess with Linux and config files but for most uses that
> would not even know there was a Linux PC inside.
>
> > And since there are versions of the MESA that close the loop for
> > servo
> > control on each axis I'd think that a training version with servos
> > would be pretty easy.  But again I may be simplifying all this.
>
> What is the total cost per axis for the motor size that is typically
> used? This is what people look at.   Closed loop steppers seem to the
> be best and lowest cost solution for a  certain range of power that is
> needed for smaller CNC routers.

Perhaps the bigger problem isn't the complexity of LCNC, but a lack of
teachers willing to share their time. Andy is spread pretty thin at
times.

Take care and stay well everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)