On 9/28/22 09:38, Alan Condit wrote:
Gene,

I am using a USB-c 240gb SSD drive. I am booting from the SSD drive.
Something I have not been able to do with my early pi3 or pi4 boards.

Since I play canary in coal mine, I run master, currently in the 2.9 territory, updated several times a week. On all 4 machines. And the tronxy I just bought, might even be run by linuxcnc, running on cura's output. It would be an interesting experiment. Marlin, for 3d printers, is not as configurable as I'd like. And since I have going on 2 decades with linuxcnc, I think I can use it to run a 3d printer.

I have the 7i76e connected to the onboard ethernet and it is the only thing
connect to it.  I have the onboard wireless setup but I generally don’t use
internet from the RPi4.  I have a USB3 to Ethernet dongle. Maybe I need to
disconnect the wireless and figure out how to enable internet through the
dongle?
That would be my choice. I'm using the 7i90-hd here, which is an spi interface. Using 3 of the 40 pins, it gets orders at 41 megabits in 32 bit chunks, and gets the 7i90's response in 32 bit chunks at 25 megabits. The 7i90-hd is pretty simple, with 72 i/o pins that can easily be configured for up to 4 axis. I blew 2 stepgens originally before I got the msg that I was supposed to buffer those 72 pins with a triplet of of 7i42TA's and installed those to buffer the outputs of the 7i90. Any way, the upshot is that I have good but pricey machine controls AND a full network thru the ethernet port at the same time.  The 7i42TA also has std green screw terminals, much easier to wire than the 50 pin scsi
connectors on the 7i90-hd.

The pi3 was breathing pretty hard, but switching to a pi4 fixed that right up.

While I was originally putzing with this, I bought a couple rock64's, v2's but lack of support at the time pushed me to the pi3b's, but I got booted from their forum for asking about a realtime kernel. They gave me a link, but then black holed me, so I've done all this by myself.  And I've since put the rock64's to work driving 3d printers. Got a house full of those that claimed to be able to use PETG, but failed at the temps PETG needs. At the instant I am making the last 6 of 9 big vise's for woodworking workbenches. Truely big vises use wooden screws but no one has made any new ones in around 100 years, so I've designed in OpenSCAD a new screw, 20+ inches long, 2" in diameter with a 12mm pitch, 2mm buttress tooth 6mm long, 5mm tall, in two start style, making the screw from hard maple on my 4 axis 6040 mill, and printing all the plastic nuts, holders and housings from PETG or 20% carbon fiber PETG. But I need a bigger printer for the nut housings as my ender 5 plus failed the long term PETG challenge so a 400x400x400 mm Tronxy-400 is due here today. And I already have a hot end for it that is supposedly good to 300C, PETG needs 240-260 heat. The little printer, a Prusa MK3S+, I was able to source parts for it that are taking the heat, but it can only do one half of the outer housing in about 2 days at a time. Hence the houseful of failed printers. The outer housing is part of my design to tolerate a miss-aligned screw, its partially self aligning. This is for a paddle vise, which is a 2x8 leg with a pin-able stick at the bottom, where the pin is moved from hole to hole in order to adjust the top of the 2x8 carrying vises jaw, to be parallel with the stationary jaw regardless of the thickness of the work piece its clamping.

So I'm having fun keeping my self out of the bars till I miss roll call some morning. I'll be 88 next week.
Alan

From: gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] 7i76e with Rpi4
Date: September 27, 2022 at 3:15:51 PM CDT
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net

On 9/27/22 14:59, Alan Condit wrote:
I have finally made some progress on this project.

I rewired the X, Y and Z axis to use the 7i76e double ended connections to the
Step/Dir on the KL5056. That fixed the no motion problem.  Somehow I had
switched the connections between my probe and the Y-axis limit switch. I got
that fixed.

Now I can fire up the controller and myPCBMill. I can home all 3 axis and all
axis jog in the correct directions. Occasionally I get error messages but I
haven’t got them consistently enough to tell what the problem is. So now I need
to work with it to see if the timing for the threads are doable.
I suspect those errors would vanish if you buy a usb3 to ethernet dongle, and
configure
ALL the normal network stuff to use it instead of the onboard ethernet. I'd
assume the other
stuff like apt or whatever, is stealing some of the bandwidth from the onboard
ethernet.

LCNC expects not to have to share time or address space of its hardware, with
anything else.
So move "anything else" to the usb dongle.
I am running RPi4-4gb with Buster Arm64 with Linuxcnc 2.8.2 with
5.10.74-rt54-v8+ SMP PREEMPT_RT kernel. I guess I can build Linuxcnc-2.8.4 for
it.
That will stress the u-sd some, so I'd get a startech usb to sata adaptor and
put an SSD on it to
be used as workspace, That way the main traffic of a compile will not be
imposed on the u-sd,
only the final install of the built debs with be imposed on the u-sd. It will
also be 15 to 30x faster
than the u-sd.  I also have a 5 amp box supply on my rpi4b since I've two SSD's
on it.

I am assuming you are still booting from the u-sd, I've never made the boot
switch on mine, it
simply doesn't work.

Take care and stay well, Alan.
Alan