Solidworks, FreeCAD, Fusion360 all are pretty much the same in terms of the
user interface.   If doing serious work, just buy the paid version of
Fusion360 and sign up for real classes,  Actually do the exercises.  It is
normal for it to take weeks or months of daily use before you get good at
it.

Fusion is pretty much seamless from design sketches to working g-code.

It is like a piano.  It would be silly if I said "I've watched 3 youtube
videos and tried for 40 minutes and I still can't play the piano."  It is
kind of the same with state of the art CAD/CAM systems.       Give it 100
hours before you can be called a "competent beginner"

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 10:21 AM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:

> That FreeCAD subject has once again prompted me to ask how people are
> using their CAD/CAM to generate G-Code.
>
> For the first time in about 10 years (or maybe more now) I've refused to
> update my support for MecSoft Visual CAD/CAM because their response to my
> question was _probably_never_.
>
> The question was: "When are you once again going to be able to import the
> .AD_PRT files from AlibreCAD?"
>
> Way back AlibreCAM was VisualCAM from MecSoft and was integrated into
> Alibre.  They had some sort of falling out because Alibre is also no longer
> interested in supporting VisualCAM stating that it's MecSoft that makes the
> decision as to whether to integrate.   I feel like it was a painful devorce…
>
> I'm stuck with using the 2020 version of AlibreCAM (with the occasional
> error message) on the current version of AlibreCAD.  I will tell Alibre
> this year that I no longer feel the need to pay support after way more than
> 16 years of support payments (I have drawings from 2006).
>
> From what I can see FreeCAD doesn't do CAM.  I have no interest in using
> Fusion360.  Both Fusion360, FreeCAD and the VisualCAD user interface
> confuse me.  Just can't seem to learn them while I find AlibreCAD easy.
> But then I could never really effectively use AutoCAD either which is why
> Alibre was so great when it showed up.
>
> What is out there for CAM G-Code generation?  Preferably integrated with
> with the CAD package so one can go back and forth to tweak a drawing for
> better CAM without having to start all over again with the CAD.
>
> Thanks
> John
>

> "ELS! Nothing else works as well for your Lathe"
> Automation Artisans Inc.
> www dot autoartisans dot com

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California