On 12/9/23 10:19, John Figie wrote:
Gene

Yes I understand the catastrophic failure mode of Buck converters. But what
is BBLB?

Built By Lowest Bidder, John. Slanguage I assumed everybody understood. ;o)>

I still have one or two of those, not in service except as proof of concept maybe, with an output display even, $9.95 on fleabay at the time. A couple decades ago now. I needed some 5 volts for a breakout board, so it was more the smoke and aggravation than the money, worked less than a year, replaced by a new breakout board and a 5 volt 5 amp supply that is still running. With all the various pi clones running 3d printers on those 5x5 supplies, I've 6 or 7 of those here now, zip failures in 15+ years for some of them. Shopping on amazon, can occasionally get them for under $15 yet. My biggest lathe started out on an rpi3b running on its wall wart, 2 amp wasn't stable by the time the interfaceing load was added but I put a 5x5 box in, and an rpi4b now runs from long power failure to long power failure. Considering it's on a 650 WS ups, and there's a 20kw auto standby in the back yard with a 5 second start to power output. the long power failures are me pulling the plug to swap u-sd cards that boot it. I wish my wintel dells were that good. All of the pi's and dell's also control all machine power from the F1 key of LCNC, so they're never turned off, just the machines. Those machines converted to stepper/servo's are also powered down by a stepper loss of home, but while well tested, has never occurred mid job. I'm in the middle of collecting enough stuff to rebuild my go704 4 axis milling machine to use them. Costs maybe an additional $20 bill per axis but well worth it. Runs much cooler, does away with pid's in linuxcnc because the pid is in the smarter controller, They do exactly what the TP tells them to do or stop LCNC in the next millisecond.

I'm also not a for profit shop, just a hobbyist, clearly with too many hobbies. I'm a CET, (we teach EE's what they should have learned in school), retired broadcast Chief Engineer in danger of falling asleep in my diabetic & dotage years, 89 so far.

John Figie