On Mon, 13 May 2024 at 22:50, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Adding anything inside is the worst place to add material.

Yes, without a doubt, but it seems fair to assume that the ganry has slides
and other components on the outside, but not on the inside.

The base beam has an Iyy (bending in the plane of the smaller dimension )
of 22in^4
Doubling it internally gives: 34.2in^4, so about 50% stiffer
Doubling externally gives: 57in^4 so getting on for 3x as stiff.

I admit I was imagining a thinner wall thickness relative to the overall
dimensions, where the difference would be smaller.

There is less to be gained than you might think from making the section
solid. You can do the experiments here:
https://amesweb.info/section/second-moment-of-area-calculator.aspx

If stiffness is the key, then add a stiff material.
Aluminium is 68GPa (moving away from measuring in bananas)
Steel is 200GPa (this is the same for all iron alloys, hardened or
unhardened, including cast iron)
Titanium is 114GPa, so good for light, not for stiff.
Carbon fibre is 181Gpa for uindirectional fibres, but more typically around
50GPa.
Tungsten carbide is 600GPa (which is why solid carbide boring bars exist)
Beryllium is 287 but probably out of both budget and COSHH limits.

--
atp
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed