Greetings! Thanks, Renate, for inviting me into the soft-skinned space.

In my intermedia based artistic practice I'm interested in the temporal
shifting that occurs through technological tools and how an embodied
phenomenological experience can counter the habits cultivated through
distraction culture. I build installations featuring screens and projected
video to create dark meditative spaces that encourage viewers to consider
the subtle aspects of digital technology such as the quality of light and
the mental state induced when engaging with screens and mobile devices.
This month's discussion topic has led me to consider boredom as resistance
to the always-on, click-baited mental state that I examine personally
through meditation and publicly through artistic production.

In their introduction to the edited collection _Essays on Boredom and
Modernity_ Barbara Dalle Pezze and Carlo Salzani give an etymological
history of boredom and list several publications on the topic. They
describe the modern subject as being bombarded by new stimuli due to
urbanisation, modernisation, and mechanisation which altered the
traditional parameters of experience. Consequently, "These stimuli become
the only possible filling for empty meaningless time, a desire which is
always renewed and never fulfilled." (13)

Boredom, malaise, ennui, disenchantment, acedia, and melancholy have
described at various times what was initially considered a moral failing
prior to the eighteenth century, but became known as a physiological malady
under the influence of the humanist naturalist perspective. Given the
increased quantity of stimuli and the accessibility afforded by mobile
devices, detachment from media streams may indeed bring about boredom but
whereas the phenomenon of boredom was known as the malaise of the
nineteenth century, I think anxiety more accurately describes the malady of
the twenty-first.

I wish to propose boredom as a form of resistance against distraction
culture. I am engaging in "Radical Acts of Boredom" in which I force myself
to remain as "bored" as possible, ideally for longer than what is
comfortable. The inactivity may become meditative, pleasant or unbearable
but sustaining the monotony of the moment is an exercise with potential
temporal, psychological and physiological consequences. It turns out the
concept of "radical boredom" was investigated by the critical theorist
Siegfried Kracauer in his essays on boredom from his 1963 book _The Mass
Ornament_. I will move forward with my planned hashtag but here is an
excerpt from Kracauer's essay _Boredom_ for further inspiration.

"On a sunny afternoon when everyone is outside, one would do best to hang
about in the train station or, better yet, stay at home, draw the curtains,
and surrender oneself to one's boredom on the sofa. Shrouded in tristezza,
one flirts with ideas that even become quite respectable in the process,
and one considers various projects that, for no reason, pretend to be
serious. Eventually one becomes content to do nothing more than be with
oneself, without knowing what one actually should be doing--sympathetically
touched by the mere glass grasshopper on the tabletop that cannot jump
because it is made of glass and by the silliness of a little cactus plant
that thinks nothing of its own whimsicality. Frivolous, like these
decorative creations, one harbors only an inner restlessness without a
goal, a longing that is pushed aside, and a weariness with that which
exists without really being." (334)

I invite you to perform your own #RadicalActOfBoredom.

- Emilie St.Hilaire
Twitter: @Emiliest
www.emiliest.com

--