 Hi Ben, Lyn, and all.

I would like to address Ben's question from last week's thread regarding
meditation, and I am pleased to have read that Lyn also has a meditation
practice, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, Lyn.

Ben wrote:
"I'm trying to get my head around what a non-task oriented, not
mind wandering, boring mind-state could be. Perhaps deep meditation could
be a state of mind that is neither task positive nor negative? Any
thoughts on this Emilie? Is meditation a task oriented activity? I would
expect that the suppression of mind wandering would require a lot of
mental control, the same kind of control used in task-oriented behaviour."

I do think the task of meditation could be described as a resistance to
mind-wandering and while there are various approaches to meditation
(applying either focused attention or open awareness, for example) the
'goal' or end result is the same. It is challenging, as you suggest, but
the important difference I would note as compared to concentration applied
to other tasks is the level of awareness being exercised. As I engage in a
specific mental task (like writing this message) I am not simultaneously
following the trajectory of my thoughts and employing a 'meta-awareness' to
the process. That said, one goal of meditation as I have been taught is to
eventually have the ability to extend the practice into all aspects of
daily life so that one is actually meditating all the time, while engaging
in other tasks.

I offer this exercise: sit comfortably (leaning against a wall is fine),
tune into your bodily awareness and breath, then turn to your mental state.
Recognise the thoughts that arise but don't attach to them (as my teacher
says "put them on a cloud and watch them float away"). Try 5 or 10 minutes.

It may forever remain a challenge but what this process exposes about my
own mental attachments is revealing and humbling. I find that the
relationship between discipline and boredom is highlighted in yoga and
meditation practice due to the heightened level of awareness and because it
is task undertaken at my own will. In these activities I'm not accountable
to anyone but myself, I am the principal labourer and benefactor behind my
efforts. Defeating boredom in meditation as Lyn pointed out is a huge
factor that doesn't necessarily get easier over time. I think expectation
is a related factor.
Could expectation be the trigger for boredom?

Om Shanti

- Emilie

--
Emilie St.Hilaire