Dear empyreans,
Thanks to Byron for starting the first few days off.  I am hoping he will stay
on at least for a couple of more days to make the transition toWeek  2 but I
want to thank him now for being such a sport.
I am so happy to introduce artists Kathy High from nearby Troy, New York and
Lindsay Kelley from Australia.  We look forward to hearing about their own
respective practices and also continuing our discussion on humor, irony and
public reception. Looking forward to it.  Just a note to apologize to you all
for being a bit behind.  I am on my way to the College Art Association in New
York whetr this coming Friday, the 17th I will host a round table discussion on
Bioart.  More information about that in a day or so.  Hope to see some of you
in New York!

Welcome Kathy High and Lindsay Kelley.
Renate

Biographies:

Kathy High (US) is an interdisciplinary artist, educator working with
technology, art and biology. She considers living systems, empathy, animal
sentience, and the social, political and ethical dilemmas of biotechnology and
surrounding industries. She has received awards including Guggenheim Memorial
Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, and National Endowment for the Arts. Her
art works have been shown at documenta 13 (Germany), Guggenheim Museum, Museum
of Modern Art, Lincoln Center and Exit Art (NYC), UCLA (Los Angeles), Science
Gallery, (Dublin), NGBK, (Berlin), Fesitval Transitio_MX (Mexico), MASS MoCA
(North Adams), Para-site (Hong Kong). High is Professor in the Arts, at
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.

Lindsay Kelley (AU) Workingin the kitchen, Lindsay Kelley's art practice and
scholarship explore how theexperience of eating changes when technologies are
being eaten. Her first book
is Bioart Kitchen: Art, Feminism and Technoscience (London: IB Tauris, 2016).
Bioart Kitchen emerges from her work at the University of California Santa Cruz
(Ph.D in the History of Consciousness and MFA in Digital Art and New Media).
Kelley is an International Research Fellow at the Center for Fine Art Research,
Birmingham City University as well as a
Co-Investigator with the KIAS funded Research­-Creation and Social Justice
CoLABoratory: Arts and the Anthropocene (University of Alberta, Canada).

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Art