Dear ALL - and thank you Renate!

I am very excited to hold this broad conversation about “bioart” (as my
computer keeps correcting my use of the term of “bio-art” to “board”
“bard” and otherwise! - ha!).
I vey much appreciate this space/forum to allow the chance to hold a
discursive moment -and talk about our projects, ideas, and futures.

I am also delighted to be coupled in this Empyre forum with Lindsay Kelley
- we only met last year while in Australia, but I am really impressed by
Lindsay in terms of her energy, her thoughtful approach to her bio-work,
and also her risk-taking compulsions!! Go Lindsay!

And I also very much thank Byron Rich for your opening comments abbot your
work, methodologies and concerns that are super useful in general! Your
works are amazing and I look forward to seeing more!!!

I will briefly start all this conversation by saying that in this
particular political climate (by that I mean the Trump era), I am very
aware that my role as an artist, feminist, educator, queer person, and
provocateur is essential more so now than even before! As so-called
bio-arists (and I say that because the term "bio-art" is such a terrible
"catch all” term that needs to be examined as it needs to serve for
“eco-artists”, "genetic-artists” “transgenetic artists" "synthetic biology
artists" and so on, all terms needing to be unpacked), ― and generally we,
as bioartists, work with living materials and we make decisions about the
ethics that we apply to these materials. This is a primary point! A
primary focus that brings us all together in this terrible
“Anthropoceene”! And then there are the US politics on top of it all.

At this point in time in the political spectrum and given the threats of
the current US administration to shut down all scientific dialogue and all
arts dialogue and radical sexual, poetical, queer actions, we need to act
now to make our work count!

Okay - that is my diatribe and impassioned introduction! More about my
artistic concerns later.

I would prefer to open up this discussion to you all to propose ways to
see clear of our current horrible situation - possibly using art, bio-art,
as a vehicle for new discoveries and “refreshment”!
Please send updates!

I will also say that I am working with a group that I recommend checking
out -  a new feminist art and technology methodology collective called
REFRESH: https://refreshart.tech/
It is a feminist collective to encourage the production of art and
technology created by women, people of colour, queers and others who feel
marginalized.
Art and tech includes biology and art, etc.

More specifics to come.
Thank you for your patience.
Onward, Kathy

On 14/02/2017, 7:11 PM, "empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au on