The best online site explaining them - with a list of cities is
http://ojjpac.org/sanctuary.asp
Rhode Island is also a sanctuary state; there are a number of others.
I spoke to police representatives here; they can't interfere with immigration agents, but they will not aid them. In other words, the federal system takes precedence, but a lot of places will do all they can do, within legal boundaries, to aid immigrants and refugees.

Here's a small part of the introduction from the site:

"By Steve Salvi, Founder, OJJPAC.org

In 1996, the 104th U.S. Congress passed Pub. L. 104-208, also known as the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA ). The IIRIRA requires local governments to cooperate with Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Agency. Despite the IIRIRA, hundreds of urban, suburban, and rural communities have ignored the law and adopted so-called "sanctuary policies."

Generally, sanctuary policies instruct local or state government employees not to notify the federal government of the presence of illegal aliens living in or passing through their communities, counties, or states. These policies may also blur the legal distinction between legal resident aliens and illegal aliens, so illegal aliens can have access to the same taxpayer funded programs and benefits available to legal permanent resident aliens.

Sanctuary policies exist in two forms, formal and informal (de facto).

A formal sanctuary policy is a written policy enacted a local government body in the form of a resolution, ordinance, or administrative action--general or special orders, or departmental policies. Formal sanctuary cities are the easiest to identify because these sanctuary policies are in writing and are subject to public records requests by citizens and the press."

I'm not sure of the politics of the site; some other sites dealing with the issue are clearly right-wing, and some right-wing sites seem to attempt to appear neutral.

Personally I expect violence and there is tremendous fear and trauma in many immigrant communities as a result of Trump's policies.

- Alan