Hi Johannes,

You say - "I doubt there is a global effect, as you called this debate -- that sounds presumptuous to me, arrogant, but you can call me naive, it's just that i can't be engaging paranoia or apocalypse. You (Alan) and I did moderate the debate on ISIS here a few years ago, and I think it was a misguided debate perhaps (I had no direct experience or knowledge of ISIS, so had to fabulate)."

Of course there's global effects; for examples - an enormous and activated military - US troops sent to mideast - tensions between China and US over N Korean militarization - blocked immigrants from Muslim countries - if you read AAAS Science you'll see the global effect of the last on scientists and research - the anti-Mexican and anti-Latino stance of the US - heightened tensions with Russia - all of this plays into global politics on many fundamental levels - the 54 billion dollar military budget and Trump's desire to upgrade the nuclear arsenal; I could go on (Amerikkka carrying its anti-abortion crusade into Africa, its climate policy's potential effect on the world, etc.), but you get the picture. Just as the EU and Brexit affect everyone - we're all in the same boat...

As far as the comment on our co-moderating a month on absolute terror, Isis, and performance - at least for myself, as I wrote you backchannel, I wanted to do that in order to listen and to learn. For me it wasn't a debate, but a learning experience, and hopefully it was that for others as well.

And the same here - listening, hoping more voices from around the world are heard, learning -

- Alan