Simon

Why is the conversation here “far and few” you ask? Perhaps because the message
does not (only) reach its intended destination. Perhaps it reaches no one. This
list blocks all of my posts with attached pictures, sound files, and and
detournment (perhaps because that breaks the constraints and protocols of the
list).

Far and few between each post is almost nostalgic in its epistolary model of
communication. Here I am writing to you — addressed to you by name // and the
others (unknown to me) are functioning like surveillance (silent auditors who
may never read these posts — who can keep up with the overflow — not even the
NSA). And, I imagine someone reading the posts and archiving and organizing
them. Unknown to the senders.

For more than a decade I had no TV, only emergent-internet (The Well — who here
was on that precursor of the internet?) and dial-up service (for 2 decades),
and no cell phone (for 5 decades). Phone machines (a radical innovation) and
letters with the copy shop and coffee house essential to the archive. Mailings
were everything (see my Networked Art — for how robust those networks were). We
had video machines, networks, and electronic music/media. It just was not
tagged, mined, and surveilled successfully.

This list may be preparing us for a past as prologue. To avoid both monolithic
spectacle, and a return to the other forms of e-say writing …