Most email lists don't allow attachments; they're set up for text communication. Since I've been guest moderating this month, there's only one message that was blocked, and it was spam. It's easy to put up urls of images, etc. I'm on a number of successful email lists (and run two of them) and there's been no problem at all.

Lists have their own trajectories, however; Jon Marshall, an anthro- pologist on Cybermind, wrote an account of Cybermind, Living on Cybermind, one of the lists I co-moderate; it might give you a better understanding of their phenomenology.

Most lists I'm on are based on discussion in depth, including empyre of course; it's one of the few places online that in-depth analysis can occur, outside of blogs, and blogs are clumsy in a sense; with email lists, the posts/discussions come to you.

Finally, empyre's been wildly successful; the experiment this time was, among other things, to open up the discussion to everyone, without guest presenters. ...

Thanks, Alan