Thanks, Margaret,

Machine Dreams reignited my passion for chatbots -- or coming to understand
our relationships to our own identities through reflections on the way we
create and treat conversation agents.  Think about how we talk to Siri and
(Amazon) Alexa.  (Or perhaps think about how we talk to the copy machine
when it is not cooperating.) Actually, my wife believes I have an abusive
relationship with our Alexa.  I think she (Alexa) just doesn't understand
what I want, what I need.  (My wife, an electrical engineer, rolls her
eyes.)

During Machine Dreams, I drew from this paper on the Racial Formation of
Chatbots:
https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2560&context=clcweb
which grew out of my dissertation work.

In that paper, I comment on the way chatbot makers construct the race and
gender of their bots, offering a few examples. While researching chatbots,
a while back, I had noticed a tendency for creators/designers in North
America, when fashioning bots with visual representations, to construct
chatbots with non-white identities. These bots also frequently presented
themselves in a servile position -- to deliver information or to at least
respond to every verbal solicitation.

I should note, my observations were based on the convenience sampling I
encountered in my research -- and more importantly, I was drawn (as a
researcher, not a lover, I think) to bots of this kind.  Nonetheless, given
the foundational legacy of enslavement in America, it was alternatively
troubling and fascinating to see this American history repeat itself in the
world of chatbots.  The bots varied from culturally appropriated
imaginaries to exoticized and fetishized others.  (SCi-Fi movie goers will
not be surprised by any of this, I suspect.)

And here I think of your poem: :Trace
Race is not programmed yet....

in which the robot lover, the radio heart, in this state of innocence or
ignorance of racial constructions, seems to be fascinated by the human's
face, arguably the center of racial identification/formation, the profile
for profiling.  In the case of chatbots, I'm not sure there is this
pre-racial moment, constructed as they are from language and from visual
representations, race and gender and socioeconomic status are imprinted on
the nuts and bolts we use to build them.

I'll save some further thoughts on gender and bots for a future post.

Best,
Mark

--
Teacher/Writer/Thinker/Spy
http://markcmarino.com

“Enough.

sentence #3 from* E-Sig*
Micro-novel (limited edition) (being published one sentence at a time via
my email signature). Collect them all by writing to me frequently or by
trading with my friends.  Sentences will be updated periodically.